Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Megan's new room

At long last - pics of Megan's "new" room! Let's start with the before pics. This room was our office when I was in grad school, and our guest room once we started having kiddos. It was nice, but certainly not five-year-old-girl-y.


View one, standing in the doorway.


View two, turning right.



View three, looking out the door.



View four.



The first day, I took down the wallpaper. It took me alllllllll day long, and I still couldn't finish, so when Chris got home from work, I put him to work in the room!



The next day I scrubbed off the wallpaper glue (took forever!) and patched up all the holes. When Chris took off the chair rail, it tore off a lot of the drywall paper, so I had to use joint compound all the way around the room to smooth it back out. The third day I sanded the patches, washed the walls, and primed the room with two coats. (no pics)



The fourth day I FINALLY started painting! Megan picked out a lovely light pink color. Here is Chris, worrying that the room will look like Pepto Bismol.



Here I am, painting the trim for the FOURTH time (two coats of primer and two coats of white paint).


Late Thursday night, we got all the furniture back into the room! Here's view one, same as above. Changes: moved the bed under the window, new comforter, new curtains (didn't buy enough of the blackout curtains), new glider (stolen from Katie's room), moved the dresser to the opposite wall.



View two - this wall had the bed and file cabinets before! The dresser has new pink crystal drawer pulls, and lots of cute knick-knacks on top.



View three - I moved her name letters above her closet. The closet also has the pink crystal knobs. Megan said that's her favorite part of the room! The closet door and the door to the hallway are painted a slightly darker pink as an accent (Megan wanted bright pink for the whole room, and this was our compromise).



View four - Megan's bed. I got raisers to make it high enough to fit underbed storage boxes underneath, and I got a new dust ruffle and a new comforter set. The nightstand is the same for now because Target sold out of the white bookcase I wanted. Still gotta find one...and get more curtains...



Here's little Megan, so happy with the final results!! All that hard work was worth it to see the smile on her face!! When we got home, she asked if she could go upstairs and look around her new room, all by herself first. After just a few seconds, she called us upstairs to see it, too. She gave us soooo many hugs and kisses for her new room!
We still have to get more curtains, a white bookcase/nightstand, and some artwork or shelves for the wall above the glider and dresser. But all in all, it came together nicely in just four days!

4 comments:

  1. LOVE the room....love seeing all the letters that I made...they look so great! Good job megan picking out the colors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! That's the same room?!? Looks fabulous! Great job momma!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree--the room looks totally different, I love it! Perfect for Megan. I think it's soooo adorable that she wanted to go up first by herself :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Amy and Chris!!! Now come to Chi and do my girls' room :)

    ReplyDelete