Monday, May 27, 2013

Gardens

This weekend we did lots of gardening!


I planted red begonias around the boxwood hedge, white petunias under the crabapple tree, and red begonias under the birch tree.

Red begonias and dusty millers along the planting area at the front window

Girls' garden.  Katie planted LOTS of flower seeds this weekend!  She claims to have labeled everything and followed the directions.  We'll see what comes up!!

Our veggie garden.  The close side has garlic, spinach, and lettuce up.  I also planted beets, wax beans, shallots, and potatoes.  The far side has cukes, tomatoes, peppers, basil, rosemary, and parsley.  (I also snuck in some sunflowers...shhh!  Don't tell Chris!  He hates that they get so big!)

I put fancy plants in my pots this year, since impatiens are a no-go due to downy mildew.  The front porch pots have Kong coleus, 2 dragon-wing begonias, a New Guinea impatiens, and some cool viney plants.

We did a huge cleanup of the Sarah garden - weeding, edging, composting, etc.  I didn't get the annuals in due to rain, but it's all ready for them!  The girls brought up all of the rocks from the back yard and put them into place to line the path.  Doesn't it look great?  But I can just hear them, 10-20 years from now..."Do you remember when Mom & Dad made us carry hundreds of rocks up that big hill?  It took all day!  I dropped one on my toe and it hurt sooo bad!"

I have 5 pots on the deck, with random flowers like these.  We'll see how they turn out!  I usually just do boring (but easy) impatiens in them.

One of our yummy dinners this weekend - smoked salmon and edamame!  It was delicious!

Little stargazer with her new telescope.  We have had fun looking at far-away objects with it, but haven't had any luck with stars, because it's been cloudy the past few nights.  We hope we get a clear night sometime soon!

Megan's closest arrow

Katie's closest arrows

1 comment:

  1. beautiful landscaping! I can't wait to see it in person Saturday! And Great-Grandpa Hubicz would be very proud of our archers.

    ReplyDelete